Tuesday 11 August 2009

Breast is Best!

This post is due to a conversation I had today with a breastfeeding friend.
I'm still breastfeeding Chloe, and I fully intend to keep breastfeeding for as long as she wants. I am a real advocate for breastfeeding and the health benefits that come from it. But I also understand that some women choose not to go down this route, and that's fine too. But one thing really peeves me off. People saying they couldn't breastfeed. In 99.9% of cases that isn't correct. The excuses I've heard have been: I wasn't making enough milk for him, he/she fed constantly, it hurt cause my nipples are weird (huh?), I was too engorged etc.



Breastfeeding is really hard work! Babies do tend to feed constantly for the first few weeks. Indeed, Chloe fed every 2 hours during the day for the first 4 months. That doesn't mean you aren't producing enough milk. It hurts no matter what. For the first 2 months my nipples were raw and even bled. They harden up over time. And if you're so engorged that a baby can't latch on then hand express a bit to soften them up. So please don't make excuses. Choosing not to breastfeed is a valid choice and does not affect how good a mom you are. But please don't tell me that you couldn't breastfeed, because that trivialises the effort I put in. Breastfeeding wasn't a walk in the park for Chloe and I. I went through agony at times and yet I kept at it because I didn't want her to have any formula. And she hasn't.

I don't think I'm a better mom beause she's fully breastfed, it's just the choice I've made. So if you've chosen not to breastfeed because you found it too difficult then say so, but don't say you couldn't!
Here's a great video about extended breastfeeding. Although I have to say I don't think many people would consider breastfeeding until 8 yrs old. I know I wouldn't.



No comments:

Post a Comment